Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday Thoughts


Sorry for the lack of posts around these parts recently. I have been depressed since the Magic lost the NBA finals. No, I don't particularly like the Magic. And I like Lamar Odom, so it's not a total loss. I just had to come to terms with the end of the season.

Thankfully, there was the draft. And it was good.

Here's a quick Monday recap of the draft after a weekend to fully digest it.

PICKS I LIKED

James Harden - Oklahoma City (#3)
I don't really have to reiterate this, but screw it. James Harden is perfect for the Thunder. He can score, he can facilitate, he can defend. And the beard.

Brandon Jennings - Milwaukee (#10)

He is going to be good. Seriously, with V-Nuv, Ramon Sessions, Amir, and Jennings, the Bucks are must-watch basketball. And we care that he came late to the draft?

Jrue Holiday - Philadelphia (#17)

I don't understand any hostility towards this pick. Mock drafts don't accomplish much, and you can't take Chad Ford too seriously, but the dude was definitely in the lottery. I think he's going to be a terrific player even if he doesn't reach his potential. Knock his college stats, but he played off the ball significantly at UCLA. For a team that needed a long term solution at the point and already has Louis Williams coming off the bench, grabbing Holiday at 17 is a coup.

Jeff Teague - Atlanta (#19)
Imagine a Teague-Crawford backcourt off the bench. Yeah, you also like this pick.

Eric Maynor - Utah (#20)
Duke-VCU. Need I say more?

PICKS I DISLIKED


Surprisingly, I don't have much to say here. Weak draft? I guess. Hansbrough? Let's see what he can do before we knock the pick. The TimberLOLves (Trey wins, yet again)? They aren't done yet. Mullens? At the end of the first round, the upside is worth it.

And now, the long summer begins. Summer league, trades, endless speculating, endless waiting. But after the Shaq and Carter trades, and a draft full of storylines, it's time to get excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment